Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless, tasteless, non-corrosive gas made up of one part carbon and one part oxygen (CO). It can be a by-product of the combustion of ordinary fuels. It is relatively harmless in open spaces, but very poisonous if it accumulates. A malfunctioning appliance can create this hazard. Carbon monoxide can also result as a byproduct of the incomplete burning of natural gas or other fossil fuels.

Carbon Monoxide Isn't in Natural Gas

Carbon monoxide can be produced if natural gas doesn't burn and vent properly. It also is produced whenever any fuel such as gas, oil, kerosene, wood, or charcoal is burned.

This can happen if your gas appliance or fuel-burning device isn't properly maintained or adjusted. If appliances that burn fuel are maintained and used properly, the amount of CO produced is usually not hazardous. Other CO sources include vehicle exhaust, blocked chimney flumes, improper use of fuel-burning cooking appliances, and charcoal grills used in the tent, home, camper, garage, or other unventilated area.

Be Alert to the Dangers of Carbon Monoxide

When combustion takes place without sufficient oxygen, carbon monoxide is produced. It's important to be alert to the dangers of improper venting.

----------------

Excess Flow Valve (EFV) Notification

April 2017
 

Full Details: EFV Installation

----------------

An EFV is a mechanical safety device installed in a natural gas service line between the natural gas main and the natural gas meter.
 

EFVs minimize or stop the flow of natural gas in the event of a service line break.
 

EFVs will not work properly on all natural gas services; therefore, not all customers qualify for an EFV.

You may choose to have an EFV installed on your service line
Installation of an EFV is optional. Costs vary and are the responsibility of the customer. Residential costs are likely to exceed $500.  Commercial costs are likely to exceed $1000, but will vary depending on the complexity of the installation. A quote will be provided upon request.

Quick Facts:

  • Most residential customers with service lines installed after 2009 have an EFV included on their service line.
  • EFV's can not be installed on some service lines due to high gas flow, low pressure or other factors.
  • EFV's are not designed to close if a leak occurs beyond the gas meter on house-piping or appliances, or if the leak on the service line is small.

Full details on: EFV Installation


Click HERE for more information or call us at 1-(866) 274-5488 or (205) 274-2159
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Signs of Carbon Monoxide Presence
 What Causes Carbon Monoxide?
If you suspect the presence of carbon monoxide:

 Carbon monoxide can be formed when carbon-based fuels, such as kerosene, gasoline, propane, natural gas, oil, charcoal, or wood are burned with inadequate amounts of oxygen, creating a condition known as incomplete combustion. Although accidental carbon monoxide poisoning from natural gas appliances is statistically rare, the existence of carbon monoxide in the home can be caused by improper installation, poor maintenance, or other appliance misuse or failure. 

Carbon monoxide may cause any or all of the following symptoms: headaches, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, irregular breathing, rapid heartbeat, ringing in the ears, seeing spots, fatigue, confusion, memory loss, loss of coordination, blurred vision, feeling ill or tired at home but fine when away from home, loss of consciousness, coma and eventually seizures, cardiac arrest and respiratory failure.

HOUSEHOLD SIGNS INCLUDE:

stuffy, foul-smelling, or stale air; the smell of exhaust fumes; a yellow or orange flame on gas ranges, furnace, or water heater burners; soot around the outside of the chimney, furnace or water heater flue vent or fireplace, and large areas of condensation of water vapor on walls or windows.

What to Do to Prevent Carbon Monoxide in Your Home

Have your gas furnace and water-heating equipment serviced regularly to ensure they are working properly, efficiently, and safely.

This includes proper venting of exhaust gases. In a tightly sealed home, you may need to install fresh air inlets and exhaust fans to supply the circulation needed for combustion. Carbon monoxide detectors are just as important as smoke detectors, and are widely available.

Follow these simple guidelines if you think you may have a carbon monoxide problem in your home: 

If your detector alarm sounds and you are experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, leave your home and immediately call your local emergency services number, Oneonta Utilities at (205) 274-2159 or toll free (866) 274-5488 or 911.

If you have no symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning and your detector alarm sounds, first check the detector. Push the reset button (if available); turn off any appliances or other sources of combustion. Get fresh air to the building and check for sources of carbon monoxide. Adjust, repair, or replace your appliances as needed by calling a qualified service or repair company.

If you think you have symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning and you do not have a detector, leave your home and immediately call your local emergency services number, Oneonta Utilities at (205) 274-2159 or toll free (866) 274-5488 or 911.

Preventive Measures and Safety Tips
You are there now.